Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann has expressed his wish to play for David Beckham’s MLS expansion club on many occasions over the past few months, and Beckham has definitely cleared that he is bringing the world champion to South Florida.
Inter Miami, Beckham’s team, won the voters’ approval on Tuesday evening to move forward with plans to build a football-specific stadium. Then the global icon touched on several topics relating to his MLS franchise, including repeated interest Griezmann of playing in Miami. “It is always nice to have good players come and play for our team,” said Beckham. “He is a big player. I’m a fan of him, he’s a fan of me, so maybe one day he wants to grace the building in Miami and that’s what we want.”
David Beckham’s dream on having his own soccer team in the MLS has been put under threat and his dream might not turn into a reality due to his project not having local support as well as a number of other reasons.
The mayor of Miami-Dade Carlos Gimenez supported the project of David Beckham and just when everything seemed like all of the process was going to kick-off with green light, it has stumbled and struggled with one of the biggest concerns being the implementation of his new stadium as the location still has not been selected.
2 different proposals have been launched from a group of investors which is led by David Beckham with the proposals revealing different locations of where the 20,000 seat stadium could be built. One of those locations is near the Miami Heat’s arena along Biscayne Boulevard while the proposal was for the stadium to be built at PortMiami.
The county mayor and the city mayor supported these proposals but they were denied by Miami officials and the stadium lost its support which has seriously complicated the plans of David Beckham.
The Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber unveiled details concerning the project and development of David Beckham.
“If we can’t get the right stadium, we can’t go to Miami. We have been challenged to find a site that we believe will be successful. I’m neither optimistic nor pessimistic.It really is a very simple position we are in, if we can’t get the right stadium, we can’t go to Miami.We had two sites on the waterfront. Both were supported by the city mayor and the county mayor, and then we lost that support, so it is clear to me that it is a complicated market in a wide variety of ways,” Garber said.
David Beckham is thought to be open to a return to MLS side LA Galaxy, but his return to the American club has been delayed due to contract talks. David Beckham was extremely close to signing for French club PSG, but decided to pull out at the last minute due to some intricate details.
It is thought that David Beckham has offered up to £ 18 million for 18 months with the French club, but family seems to have played a major role in the former Manchester United player deciding not to move to the French League.
David Beckham has always maintained that family comes first at this point in his career. Hence, it has been accepted that the former England international will be returning to LA Galaxy after signing a new contract, but he is yet to complete his return. There have been a few problems in terms of the negotiations, which seems to have prevented Beckham from announcing his return to LA Galaxy. David Beckham signed for LA Galaxy back in 2007 on a contract that was thought to be worth around US$ 50 million each year. Even though the basic salary for David Beckham is around $ 6 million per year, he is thought to be extremely rewarded when it comes to the merchandise income.
“Yes of course if he wants to come in, no problem. I have not spoken to him, but if he wants to, we would love him back here. To have him around the place last year was brilliant,” Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp said when asked about the possibility of signing David Beckham. The possibility of David Beckham returning to Manchester United along with 36-year-old Paul Scholes has also been rejected without any second thoughts from the David Beckham camp.